With Passover starting next week, the matzah boxes are out and about on grocery store shelves! Matzah is an unleavened flatbread eaten during the Jewish festival, Passover, in place of chametz (5 specific grains and leavened bread). Even if you aren’t Jewish, you’ll love this recipe that my family enjoys each year. Matz-ohs are our take on nachos!
Although chips and salsa are not a traditional Jewish or Passover food, they are a favorite snack in our house. You can change them up however you like, and they really come together so quickly. It’s also a fun way to get the kids in the kitchen with me. Stella and Liam make the salsa for the topping, while Hattie and Finn break up the matzah into “chips.”
I loaded up the avocado on these matz-ohs (my favorite!), but of course, add whatever toppings your family loves – olives, cilantro, peppers…. For even more fun, set out a matz-oh bar and let everyone add their own toppings as they like them!
For the salsa
2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
½ the juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
For the lime crema
¼ cup sour cream
½ the juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon chile lime salt
For the beans
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons taco seasoning
½ cup water
½ cup chopped onion
For the nachos
3 matzah sheets
1 cup (or more!) shredded cheddar cheese
2 avocados, chopped
- Heat the onion in 1 tablespoon of oil and cook until golden brown. Stir in the black beans. Add in the seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Break the matzah sheets into chip-sized pieces and scatter them on a baking sheet. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Combine the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the salsa crema in bowl. Stir until mixed well, and set aside.
- Place the cooked matzah pieces on a platter and top with the beans and salsa.
- Place the avocado chunks all over the nachos.
- Drizzle the lime crema on top.
Does your family eat matzah? Tell me your favorite way to eat it!+ Comment