Christmas is only a few days away! If you’re looking for a last minute treat to whip up for festive gatherings or a homemade gift for someone special, I have the perfect, most simple recipe… Scotcheroos! They’re easy to make and delicious to eat!
Chocolate Scotcheroo Bars
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter*
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- *Almond butter may be substituted for the peanut butter.
- Step 1. Cook corn syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add cereal; stir until evenly coated. Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch pan and pat into place
- Step 2 can be done one of two ways:
- Option 1. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over cereal. Cool at least 45 minutes, or until firm. Cut into bars.
- Option 2. Let rice cereal mixture set for about 15 minutes. Using a cookie cutter, cut out a variety of shapes. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly (or use your favorite colored candy melts).
- Dip shaped Scotcheroo bars into melted chocolate mixture. Add sprinkles and icing to decorate your Scotcheroo treats while the candy is still tacky.
A box of Scotcheroos makes a great handmade gift this season! Click HERE to head to my site for a FREE Scotcheroo recipe card and gift tag download.
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!