Hi everyone! It’s Kate from the blog She Be Kale-in It. I am so excited to be back blogging on ediTORIal! I was here last month talking about the best ways to start healthy habits… if you haven’t read that one yet, click here. But today, it’s on to something a little tastier… dessert!
When Valentine’s Day rolls around, you begin to think about hearts, roses, love, and CHOCOLATE. Yes, plenty of chocolate. Dessert is a necessity for Valentine’s Day. But doesn’t it become frustrating when you just got in your New Year’s resolution routine? When you’ve been feeling confident in the healthy habits you formed in a mere month before?
Life truly is about balance. And a sweet indulgence with your Valentine is something you deserve. What I would like to share is two healthier versions of decadent desserts that can be enjoyed with your children or with your special someone.
The first is a non-dairy, vegan take on cheesecake. Unsure about how a vegan cheesecake may taste? What if I told you there was a chocolate crust and raspberry swirl? Made with a cashew coconut cream base, these cheesecakes are also no bake, making them simple to put together.
For the base:
9 Oreo Cookies (yup! Oreo’s are in fact vegan. Just remember what I said about balance…)
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
For the filling:
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ of a lemon juiced
- ¼ cup of coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup of full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup agave nectar (honey, if not vegan)
- 2 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Soak the cashews first for about 2 hours in a shallow bowl with room temperature water to soften.
- Prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- First prepare the crust. Pulse Oreo cookies. Then add melted coconut oil, pulse in blender to combine.
- Spoon 1 tbsp. Oreo crust into bottom of muffin tin and using a glass, press the crust down to make even.
- In the blender, blend the coconut milk, cashews, coconut oil, agave nectar, and lemon juice until smooth. Add tbsp. water at a time if needing to thin.
- Mash the raspberries and add 2 tsp. lemon juice.
- Spoon the cheesecake filling into the muffin in and smooth. Leave about ¼ inch of cupcake liner showing.
- Next, add raspberry mash and with a knife, swirl but do not touch the bottom of the tin or the crust.
- Garnish with raspberries or pink sprinkles.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, take out of freezer about 15 minutes prior and allow to thaw.
This is another dairy-free and gluten free option that is fairly low fat. The chocolate pudding is put together in minutes; simply serve in small jars with a heaping spoonful of coconut whipped cream for your kids. It is made with natural sugars, as coconut sugar is low glycemic and won’t bring a dreaded sugar crash. Want to jazz it up? Have your kids help you in the kitchen by adding fresh strawberries, sprinkles, crushed cookies, or cinnamon to the layers of pudding. If you and your sweetie want a more adult version, add a bit of instant coffee while cooking for a mocha pudding flavor.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can also use granulated)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (dairy-free or regular)
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- First whisk together the coconut sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and salt in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Whisk in almond milk and place on medium high heat.
- To ensure a smooth pudding, continue whisking the mixture until it comes to a boil. Next reduce heat to medium-low and continue whisking for 2-4 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut oil, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips if using. Whisk until coconut oil and chocolate chips are melted.
- Pour into bowl or mason jars, cover top of pudding directly with a sheet of plastic wrap. By placing directly on the pudding, a skin will not form on the top.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator for about 4 hours, or overnight.
- Top with coconut whipped topping, decoration, fresh fruit, or more chocolate chips, and serve!
Will you be whipping up any sweet treats for the upcoming holiday??
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
XO Kate+ Comment