Over the next week I’ll be featuring my friend and fellow craftista Jenny Dixon’s holiday tuTORIals! She’s shown you how to Spray Paint Your Thrift Store Finds, create DIY Yarn Letters, make a super cute DIY Mailbox for your little ones and also how to make a personalized and beyond adorable baby gift for the new mamas in your life. She’s also been working hard on her new website Craft That Party! and it looks fabulous! Now, she’ll show you how to make Hot Chocolate Play Dough. Take it away Jenny!
Do your kids love the marshmallows more than the hot chocolate? If the answer is yes, here is a sugar-free alternative… play with your hot chocolate instead of drinking it! Hot chocolate play dough is easy to make and smells super delicious. I have included a 5-minute recipe, but if you are too busy to make your own just add 1/8 cup of unsweetened cocoa to a container of brown play dough. Either way you make it, hot chocolate play dough is a great indoor activity, classroom gift, or holiday party favor!
5-Minute Hot Chocolate Play Dough Recipe: (Makes 2 Cups)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix together in a sauce pan: flour, salt and cream of tarter. Add water, oil and vanilla extract. Continue to stir until there are no lumps.
- Heat over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the dough thickens into a ball
- Take the dough out of pan and cool. Knead warm dough a few times. Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
Optional Embellishments: I added a paper straw, drink flag from Blush Printables, and white play dough marshmallows.
Thank you Jenny! Such a cute and creative holiday craft to do with the kids. For more from Jenny, check out her website Crossing the Bugger-Dixon Line.
What’s your go-to holiday season craft?