What’s more appropriate for holidays than a melting snowman cookie? I had seen these cookies all over Pinterest, and thought the idea looked super cute and one that the kids would absolutely love. I decided to make these festive treats for Stella’s class holiday party, and I must say, they were a big hit!
They were super easy to make, and turned out exactly as I had imagined. Here’s what you’ll need to make your own melting snowmen:
- Large Marshmallows
- White icing
- Decorating Icing tubes in black, orange and green (Wilton makes great ones)
- Hershey’s Hugs & candy canes for decorating
- Sugar cookies (I made homemade sugar cookie dough, but you can use premade sugar cookie dough from the grocery store. Just remember to make each cookie into what looks like a misshaped puddle by flattening it in your hand)
- Bake sugar cookies and let them cool
- Once the cookies are cool, add a layer of white cookie icing (I made homemade royal icing which I found a recipe for online, but it was tricky to work with and didn’t get as thick as I would have liked) and spread it around the cookie (Hint: You should let some icing go over the edge of the cookie so it looks like a puddle)
- Put your marshmallows in the microwave for about 20 seconds, or until they start getting puffy (don’t let them double in size or melt so make sure to watch carefully)
- Grab each marshmallow by the base (I recommend covering your fingers in Crisco to make sure the marshmallows won’t stick to you), and place each one at the top of the frosted cookies (you might want to smush them down a little)
- Decorate your snowmen using the icing tubes. I gave my snowmen green bowties (in honor of Liam), red & white hats (using the Hershey’s hugs), button down shirts, and stick-like arms. But get as creative as you want!
- Serve and enjoy!
And that’s all it takes! It’s such a fun holiday treat to make, and is one that kids can’t get enough of. To decorate my plates full of melting snowmen I added heart shaped candy canes and Hershey’s hugs. So festive, so delicious and such a fun treat to share with Stella’s class.
Will you give the melted snowmen a try? What festive treats are you baking up this holiday season?
Let me know in the comments!