It’s no secret that grilled cheese has always been a kid-proof staple. Well, now this kids’ menu dish is moving up in the world and getting all sorts of gourmet! I found four fancy grilled cheese recipes that might make you see this kids’ classic in a new light. Whip these up for your next party- they’d be great to serve as an appetizer.
1. Goat Cheese and Strawberry Grilled Cheese from Southern Living
- 1 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, softened
- 6 whole grain bread slices
- 4 1/2 teaspoons red pepper jelly
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh watercress or arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spread goat cheese on 1 side of 3 bread slices.
- Spread pepper jelly on 1 side of remaining bread slices; layer with strawberries, basil leaves, and watercress.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with remaining bread, goat cheese sides down.
- Cook sandwiches in a large, lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
2. White Truffle Grilled Cheese by Karma Cucina
*makes 2 sandwiches
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 ounces oyster mushrooms, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup fresh coarsely shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 slices crusty whole grain bread
- 1 Tbsp. white truffle oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat panini press.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to a medium bowl and let cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Drain any accumulated juices from the bowl and discard.
- Use your hands to toss mushrooms with parsley, Fontina, and Parmesan cheese. Mixture should bind together and form a paste-like consistency.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with truffle oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Top dry side of two of the slices of bread with the mushroom and cheese paste.
- Place dry side of remaining bread down upon this mixture.
- Press sandwiches on panini grill approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown and all the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
3. Brie, Prosciutto, Pear & Apricot Grilled Cheese by Rachel Voorhees
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 1/4 to 1/2 lb triple cream Brie
- 1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 2-3 Tablespoons apricot chutney
- Spread butter on the outside of the 4 slices of bread.
- Spread the apricot chutney on the inside of the 4 slices of bread.
- Spread some of the triple cream Brie over the apricot chutney on 2 slices of bread.
- Divide the slices of pear in half and spread out over the cheese.
- Top the pear with 2 slices of prosciutto on each sandwich, followed by some of the remaining cheese so that the sandwich sticks together.
- Place 2nd slice of bread on top of each sandwich and grill in pan over medium heat, flipping once the 1st side is crispy and brown.
- Slice in half and serve alongside mixed baby greens with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
4. French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese from BS’ In The Kitchen
- 1 Yellow Onion
- Pinch of Thyme
- Pinch of Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 2-3 Ounces Concentrated Beef Stock (~30 ml in an ounce)
- ½-1 Ounce of Sherry
- ¾-½ cup Gruyere Cheese
- 2 Slices of French Bread
- First, get a pan with a tablespoon of butter in it, on medium-low heat.
- While you’re waiting for your pan to heat up, peel and evenly slice your onion, putting them in the pan once sliced.
- Stir the onions to coat them in the butter, and continue stirring only as often as needed to avoid sticking or burning.
- Your onions should begin to get that nice caramelized brown colour after about a half an hour.
- Once they have caramelized, sprinkle your onion with a pinch of flour and thyme, stirring to mix in.
- Add your sherry, allowing it to reduce down and soak into the onions, then add in your beef stock and salt & pepper to taste, allowing to reduce as well.
- Butter every side of your bread, pile with your onions and your shredded Gruyere cheese and fry both sides in a pan on medium heat until golden brown.
Craving a grilled cheese all of the sudden? Let me know if you have any grilled cheese twists of our own in the comments below!+ Comment